Top 10 Wuhan Delicacies
Wuhan is home to a variety of delicacies. They have a wide selection of breakfasts, so you can have different one for every day for a month. If you want to taste all the local snacks in a few days, you'll regret that you only have one stomach but not five. We have listed the top 10 Wuhan delicacies below. So you may try some of these delicious local foods when you are in Wuhan.
1. Hot and Dry Noodle With Sesame Paste
- Features: fragrant, spicy, mixed flavor
- Recommendation: Cai Lin Ji Restaurant
- Address: Jianghan Rd. Pedestrian Street, Jiqing Folk-custom Street, Hubu Alley
2. Soup Dumpling
The ultra-thin hand-kneaded wrapper is filled with natural chicken broth and delicate double-ground pork, and it is quite a fresh flavor and not spicy at all. As an outsider, you need to be careful of the hot soup in the dumplings. Remember the correct steps: lift gently, move slowly, open a hole, drink the soup, and finally eat it all.
- Features: tender, juicy and savory
- Recommendation: Si Ji Mei Restaurant
- Address: Jianghan Rd. Pedestrian Street, Hubu Alley, Jiqing Folk-custom Street, Wansongyuan Snack Street
3. Doupi (a pan-fried delicacy of glutinous rice and minced meat)
- Features: salty, fragrant, crispy
- Recommendation: Lao Tongcheng Restaurant
- Address: Jiqing Folk-custom Street, Zhongshan Avenue, Jiang An District, Wuhan
4. Rice Noodles in Fish Soup
The history of Rice Noodles in Fish Soup can be traced back to 1932. The local chef braises the fresh river fish with rice until they turn into a kind of thick fish soup. Then it is boiled with rice noodles, black pepper and dried shrimps. Normally, when people are having this delicacy, they prefer to couple it with a Deep-Fried Dough Stick. The thick fish soup spilling over into the crispy Deep-Fried Dough Stick, this brings fantastic flavor and texture.
- Features: fresh, thick and smooth
- Recommendation: Tian Heng Qi Restaurant
- Address: Minzu Rd., Jianghan District, Wuhan
- Features: fresh, soft and smooth flavor
- Recommendation: Shunxiangju Restaurant
- Address: 2F, Exit D, Metro line 2 or 6, Jianghan Rd. Station, Jianghan District, Wuhan
6. Simmer Soups
Wuhan produces large numbers of fine quality lotus roots. The Soup of Pork Ribs and Lotus Root is the most popular soup in Wuhan. The other popular soups are Chicken Soup, Duck Soup, Beef Soup and Turtle Soup. Having a bowl of soup before or after the meal will help to protect and release your stomach. Especially as Wuhan local cuisine can be quite spicy and oily.
- Features: nourishing, fresh and healthy
- Recommendation: Xiao Tao Yuan Restaurant
- Address: No.59, Fangcao Rd., Hanyang District, Wuhan
7. Chinese Salty Doughnut
You can find this snack at some street food stands or small food stalls in the streets and back lanes of Wuhan. It can be accompanied with Hot and Dry Noodles, Rice Noodles in Fish Soup, Shredded Bean Curd or Soya Milk. It is made of ground soybean and rice milk, salt, onion, ginger and sesame. The shape is just like a deep-fried doughnut.
- Features: crispy outside and soft inside
- Recommendation: Luo Shi Mianwo
- Address: 8 Zhongbei Rd., Wuchang District, Wuhan
8. Spicy Duck's Neck
- Features: spicy, salty, heavy flavor
- Recommendation: Jingwu Duck's Neck
- Address: 822 Jiefang Avenue, Jiang'an District, Wuhan
9. Bean Shreds
Bean shreds are mainly made of rice and mung beans. The Bean Shreds can be fried with vegetables, beef, pork or eggs. The most famous Bean Shreds are made in the Huangpi District of Wuhan. The bean shreds produced in Huangpi are very nutritious. They have mixed more natural ingredients to make it, such as buckwheat powder, arrow root powder, soybean and Chinese yam, making it even more tasty and healthy.
- Features: nourishing and tasty bean shreds, fragrant gravy
- Recommendation: Lao Qianji Restaurant
- Address: Entrance of Hubu Alley, Ziyou Rd., Wuchang District, Wuhan
Crayfish has become a very popular dish in China in the recent years. Hubei province is one of the main crayfish producing areas in China. So don't be surprised when you see a whole street full of crayfish restaurants in Wuhan. If you like spicy, you must have a taste of the Spicy Crayfish. And the Steamed Crayfish is more friendly for people who don't eat spicy food. I'm pretty sure once you eat the first crayfish, you won't be able to stop from taking the next one.
- Features: tender, fresh, spiced
- Recommendation: Bali Crayfish
- Address: 30 Xuesong Rd., Jianghan District, Wuhan
Are you eager to begin your Chinese cultural journey?
Drop us a line and we will promptly connect you with our leading China expert!